martes, 10 de julio de 2007

What is Virtual Debian

In Virtual Debian I will blog about my experiences and know-how gained while I test Debian GNU/Linux running as a virtual machine in Windows Vista.

I've been trying Debian as a VMware player guest a little bit for a while so now I already have some useful and time-saving tips worth to blog about and the relative confidence that I can further test Debian as a desktop OS without having to stop whatever I am doing in Windows.

Granted, using and seting up Linux is not an easy task for newcomers and takes quality hacking time to get experienced with, even more if we are dealing with Linux running as a guest in a virtual machine, but I really think that a virtualized Debian, unlike a Windows-Linux dual boot system configuration, is the best and more efficient way for a Windows user to test, learn and compare both operating systems without sacrificing any productivity.

Once I get confident with VMware player, I will try other alternative virtualization solutions and compare all of them to identify the best one to test Linux desktops in Windows Vista.

3 comentarios:

Gabriel dijo...

Good idea, azulmarino.

I'd like to share here what was posted in the UY Debian Users Group. QEMU -as you have listed in the alternatives section- is a great and easy to use virtua tool for running GNU/Linux.

On the other hand, there's a site where VMware VMs can be generated for free on-the-fly.

azulmarino dijo...

@gabriel thanks 4 sharing the easyvmx link. I'm adding it to the links list.

Todaydownload.com dijo...

These facts are really interesting. Few of them were well known for me but many of them were brand new for me too!
I will print this one out and show to my friends because they will be definitely interested in that. Thanks!
VMware Player